[INDOLOGY] M-W Sanskrit-English Dictionary Co-Authors

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sat Apr 30 18:15:04 UTC 2016

> there were no pandits in Oxford

Monier-Williams - a solitary giant, helped in his Sanskrit Lexicographer's
work only by several European trained sub-giants.

No assistance from Indian pandits needed; he could manage without their
help, he himself would explain the meanings of rare lexemes appearing in
some vague (left vague on purpose!) Vedic verses, he himself would explain
the meanings of some difficult terms appearing in some half-forgotten
philosophical or astronomical or grammatical treatises .

No, no need for any pandits in Oxford. No pandit could measure up to him.

Dear All,

Great knowledge - yes. But - was his knowledge boundless?

I personally would rather - would tend to - doubt it.

The way his work is presented in the SED itself - it confirms the White
Man's advantage over the Indian natives: their tradition has to be
organized, their sacred language de-sanctified, and He -  the great Monier
Monier-Williams - does it.

Colonial pride.

Sir Monier Monier-Williams, KCIE. Knight Commander of the Order of the
Indian Empire.

Even If there were no pandits in Oxford at the time, there certainly were
multilingual pandits working in London, experts in Sanskrit and English and
local languages, in the India Office. Can we exclude any contacts between
them and the M-W's team? Any paid-for consultations?

Regards,

Artur Karp