[INDOLOGY] M-W Sanskrit-English Dictionary Co-Authors

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Fri Apr 29 08:46:46 UTC 2016

It was noted by several contemporary critics. He even copies some of the misprints appearing in the Peterburg dictionary. But this was the first edition of Monier Williams (1872). The second edition (1899) was completely revised and in this he was helped by several assistants and colleagues – all mentioned at the end of his introduction. He visited India three times, but never lived there, and there were no pandits in Oxford.

Best,
Klaus

Klaus Karttunen
South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)2941 4482418
Fax +358-(0)2941 22094