[INDOLOGY] XVIIIth IABS Congress, Toronto 2017, Second Circular

Christoph Emmrich christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca
Sat Apr 30 17:00:32 UTC 2016

XVIIIth Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies (IABS):
Second Circular

Dear Colleagues, Dear Friends:
Preparations are well underway for the XVIIIth Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies (IABS), which takes place at the University of Toronto, August 20th to the 25th, 2017. On behalf of the IABS, my university, and the conference’s Planning Committee, I kindly send you this Second Circular to share the panels that will be presented, to invite individual papers for the panels and sections here proposed, and to encourage all IABS members and supporters to attend the Congress in Toronto.

General Information
This Congress is a unique opportunity for Buddhist Studies scholars from around the world to convene and celebrate the excellence of our field. As Chair of the Planning Committee, I enthusiastically encourage you to circulate this Second Circular to colleagues, students, on message boards, electronic forums and on social media. This Second Circular is sent to all current IABS members, those who have filled out the electronic ‘Mailing List’ request form on the website, and to those who wrote me directly. We strive to convene as inclusive a Congress as possible, and welcome the attendance of a diverse range of scholars, students and supporters.

I would once again kindly remind everyone that they must be a fully paid member of IABS for the year 2017 in order to attend the event, deliver a paper, or sit on a panel in Toronto. To be a member of the association in 2017, those wishing to participate in the Congress will need to pay their IABS dues by December 31, 2016. All participants will also need to pay a Congress registration fee used to help us cover the cost of hosting the event, stipulated below. IABS membership can be secured through the online form at the IABS website: www.iabsinfo.net<http://www.iabsinfo.net>. Kindly keep in mind that on registration, to complete the process aspiring participants will be required to provide proof of payment of their IABS dues for 2017. Initial enquiries about eligibility should be sent to the association’s Secretary General, Dr. Ulrich Pagel (up1 at soas.ac.uk<mailto:up1 at soas.ac.uk>).

Submission of panel proposals for the Congress has already closed, and I, along with the Planning Committee, would like to generously thank all those who took time to submit their panel proposals. Given the high volume of submissions—an IABS record—not every panel was accepted, though all were of superior quality and testify to the wide-ranging excellence of our field.

Submission of individual paper abstracts for both panels and sections (each of which is outlined below) opens May 15th, 2016, and closes October 1st, 2016. Please note that individual paper abstracts cannot be accepted after October 1st, 2016, so be sure to take note of the deadline.

Congress registration opens October 1st, 2016, and closes just prior to the start of the proceedings, August 18th, 2017. Registration any time between these dates is permitted. Please see below for further details on how to register, as well as to the amenities covered by the fee.

Though our field spans a myriad of linguistic regions and our members represent the most diverse language backgrounds, it is IABS policy that official Congress proceedings, including papers and presentations, be conducted in an English-language medium.

As all future communication will be distributed via email, I encourage those who wish to attend or stay abreast of Congress news to fill out the electronic “Mailing List” request form found at our website: http://www.iabs2017-uoft.ca/contact/. Please write to me, Christoph Emmrich, directly, if you have any questions or concerns about future communication. My address is found at the bottom of this circular under ‘Correspondent,’ or at the above website address.

Academic Program
In following with past Congresses, the proceedings in Toronto will consist of both panel presentations and paper sections. Panels have been proposed by their respective convenors, and will consist of no more than six papers, each 20 minutes in length, each followed by a 10 minute discussion period. All told, panels will last half a day, including a coffee and tea break after the first three papers. The organizers and I will strive to ensure that papers in each panel begin and end in unison to allow participants to attend select papers from multiple panels.

Sections, in contrast, have been chosen in accordance with past Congresses and are to be compiled from individual paper submissions. They will follow the same format as panels in terms of time and duration: 20 minutes for delivery and 10 minutes of question and answer period immediately following each paper. Please be advised that in the event an insufficient number of qualified entries are made to a given section, the Planning Committee and I reserve the right to decide to cancel the said section and reassign the papers accepted to another, thematically equivalent section as well as the time slot to another section with a surplus of submissions.

Individual Paper Proposals
I cordially invite scholars, students, and independent researchers from across the spectrum of Buddhist Studies to submit abstracts for individual papers, starting May 15th, 2016. Paper abstracts should be no more than 500 words, and preferably in both word and PDF format. In order to contribute a paper to an individual section, please upload abstracts to the Congress website at http://www.iabs2017-uoft.ca/, indicating which section the abstract will address. Please limit your selection to one section. The list of sections is found below. It has been chosen with the aim of being both representative of the traditional profile of the Congress and as inclusive as possible. Some submissions might fit under several section headers, though only one presentation per participant is permitted.

Indeed, to ensure a smooth and balanced program that allows for maximum participation, attendees are limited to act in only one official capacity at the Congress: this limit extends to presenting a paper, convening a panel, or acting as designated discussant. If one has any questions pertaining to this limit, please contact me directly at the correspondence address listed below.

The following are the sections proposed for the XVIIIth IABS Congress:

Āgama and Nikāya Studies
Abhidharma Studies
Buddhism and Gender
Buddhism and Its Relation to Other Religions
Buddhism and Its Relation to Science
Buddhism and Society
Buddhism and the Śramaṇas
Buddhist Art and Architecture
Buddhist Hermeneutics, Scholasticism, and Commentarial Techniques
Buddhist Literature
Buddhist Music
Buddhist Places
Buddhist Sciences
Contemporary Buddhism
Early Buddhism
Epigraphy, Manuscripts, and Codicology
Epistemology and Logic in Buddhism
Information Technologies in Buddhist Studies
Mahāyāna Buddhism
Mahāyāna Sūtras
Śrāvakayāna Buddhism, incl. Theravāda
Tantric Buddhism
The Canonical Languages of Buddhism
Vinaya Studies

Panels, unlike sections, are organized by their respective convenor(s), who are responsible for their academic standard, thematic cohesion, and timely submission. Should you wish to contribute a paper towards the conference that in your eyes may fit one of the announced panels, you should contact the convenor(s) directly through the email addresses provided below, before submitting a paper proposal to one of the sections. All decisions regarding acceptance of paper proposals are made by the convenor(s). Once panels have been filled, their convenor(s) can close the panels and direct further submissions to paper sections instead. We welcome convenors to also present on their respective panels (this being the only exception to the one-capacity rule stated above), but also request them to ensure that no more than six papers constitute any one panel and to remind their panelists that they may not commit to joining other panels. Convenors should email a complete package of paper abstracts directly to me no later than October 1st, 2016.

Below is a list of accepted panels for the XVIIIth IABS Congress in Toronto:

Title

Convenor(s)

Email(s)

A New Study of Ratnākaraśānti’s Prajñāpāramitopadeśa

Katsura, Shoryu
Hong, Luo

shoryukatsura at nifty.com

Approaches to the Bodhicaryāvatāra

Gold, Jonathan C.

jcgold at princeton.edu

Bell Inscriptions Across the Buddhist World

Doney, Lewis
Bretfeld, Sven

doney.lewis at gmail.com
sven.bretfeld at ntnu.no

Brahmin Buddhists

Walser, Joseph

joseph.walser at tufts.edu

Buddhism from the Margins: Using Manuscript Sources to Re-examine the Rituals and Routines of Medieval and Early Modern Buddhist Communities in Japan, Korea, and China

Keyworth, George A.

george.keyworth at gmail.com

Buddhism in the Sātavāhana Empire: The Languages of the Sātavāhanas and the Languages of Buddhism

Ollett, Andrew

andrew.ollett at gmail.com

Buddhist Conceptions of History

Thompson, Luke

lnt2106 at columbia.edu

Buddhist Cosmology and Astral Science

Mak, Bill M.

bill.m.mak at gmail.com

Buddhist Landscapes Made and Remade

Carbine, Jason A.

jcarbine at whittier.edu

Buddhist Studies and the Scientific Study of Meditation

Braun, Erik
McMahan, David

ecb2j at eservices.virginia.edu
david.mcmahan at fandm.edu

Buddhist Tourism: Sacred Sites within Global Networks

Bruntz, Courtney
Schedneck, Brooke

bruntzc at oregonstate.edu
brooke at iseaa.org

Buddhist Ways of Reading

Heim, Maria
Gummer, Natalie

mrheim at amherst.edu
gummern at beloit.edu

Concepts and Techniques of Prognostication

Guggenmos, Esther-Maria
Scheuermann, Rolf

rolf.scheuermann at fau.de
esther-maria.guggenmos at fau.de

Conventional Reality, Conventional Truth

McClintock, Sara

slmccli at emory.edu

Deeds of a Buddha

Tournier, Vincent
Luczanits, Christian
Sernesi, Marta

vt6 at soas.ac.uk
cl46 at soas.ac.uk
ms153 at soas.ac.uk

Dhāraṇī Literature and Textual Cultures

Davidson, Ronald M.

rdavidson at fairfield.edu

Discipline, Agency, Inquiry: Vinaya Reception in Women’s Monastic Communities Past and Present

Langenberg, Amy Paris

langenap at eckerd.edu

Does Candrakīrti Offer Any Epistemology (pramāṇa)?

Westerhoff, Jan
Thakchoe, Sonam

jan.westerhoff at theology.ox.ac.uk
sonam.thakchoe at utas.edu.au

Early Buddhist Manuscripts from Gandhāra: New Discoveries and Research

Baums, Stefan
Strauch, Ingo

baums at lmu.de
ingo.strauch at unil.ch

Images and Practices of Buddhist Kingship across Asia

Berkwitz, Stephen
Dotson, Brandon

sberkwitz at missouristate.edu
dotson.brandon at gmail.com

Insights into Gandhāran Buddhist Narratives through Art and Texts

Neelis, Jason

jneelis at wlu.ca

Literatures of Contemplation

Quintman, Andrew
Schaeffer, Kurtis

andrew.quintman at yale.edu
ks6bb at virginia.edu

Monastic Espionage in East Asia: Medieval Period

Chen, Jinhua

jinhuachen2013 at gmail.com

Monastic Espionage in East Asia in the Age of Isolationism, 14th to 19th Century

Bingenheimer, Marcus

m.bingenheimer at gmail.com

Monastic Espionage in East Asia: Modern Period

Brose, Benjamin

bbrose at umich.edu

New Approaches to Wŏnhyo and His Thought – A Panel in Commemoration of the  1400th Anniversary of His Birth

Cho, Eun-su
Buswell, Robert

cho.eunsu at gmail.com
buswell at humnet.ucla.edu

New Research on Newar Buddhism

Bühnemann, Gudrun

gbuhnema at wisc.edu

New Trajectories in the Study of Buddhism and Law

Lammerts, D. Christian
Schonthal, Ben

dcl96 at rci.rutgers.edu
ben.schonthal at otago.ac.nz

Recent Approaches in Vinaya Studies

Borgland, Jens W.

jwborgland at gmail.com

Recent Research on the Dīrghāgama

Melzer, Gudrun
Choi, Jinkyoung

g.melzer at lmu.de
precioussunshine at gmail.com

Reconstructing the History of Late Indian Buddhism (Part III)
Relationship between Tantric and Non-tantric Doctrines

Kyuma, Taiken

kyuma at human.mie-u.ac.jp

Ritual, Doctrine, and Monasticism: Buddhist Practices in Dunhuang

Liu, Cuilan
Chen, Huaiyu

cuilanliu at post.harvard.edu
huaiyu.chen at asu.edu

Stories Behind the Story: Revisiting the Buddha’s Hagiography

Sasson, Vanessa

v.sasson at marianopolis.edu

The Avadānaśataka: The Uses of Narrative

Appleton, Naomi
Muldoon-Hules, Karen

naomi.appleton at ed.ac.uk
kmuldoon at unex.ucla.edu

The Buddha’s Footprint in Asian Cultures

Handlin, Lilian

lilioscar at aol.com

The Manuscript Tradition of the Pāli Texts in South and Southeast Asia

Yamanaka, Yukio

yukio916 at icloud.com

The Roles of Iconic Imagery in South Asian Buddhist Architectural Contexts: Reconstructions and New Perspectives

Morrissey, Nicolas

nmorriss at uga.edu

Transmission and Transformation of Buddhist Logic and Epistemology in East Asia (I): Around Dignāga’s Logic and Fallacies of Debate

Ono, Mitoi
Inami, Masahiro

ono at logos.tsukuba.ac.jp

Transmission and Transformation of Buddhist Logic and Epistemology in East Asia (II): Around Yogācāra and Madhyamaka Texts in Chinese Translations

Moriyama, Shinya
Moro, Shigeki

smoriyam at shinshu-u.ac.jp

Transparent, Translucent, or Opaque: Chinese Translations of Indic Texts as Windows onto Indian Buddhism

Witkowski, Nicholas

nwitkows at alumni.stanford.edu

Travel, Transmission, and Affiliation: Lineage in the Buddhist Crossroads of Inner Asia

King, Matthew W.

matthew.king at ucr.edu

Vinaya Commentaries

Clarke, Shayne

clarsha at mcmaster.ca

What Makes a Monastery a Great Monastery? Textual, Art Historical, and Archaeological Evidence from India to [the Borders of] China

Forte, Erika

erika.forte at univie.ac.at

Yogācāra Across Asia: India, Tibet, and East Asia

Yao, Zhihua
Bayer, Achim

zyao at cuhk.edu.hk
bayer_achim at yahoo.com

Zones of Contact: Facets of Buddhist Interactions in Eastern Central Asia During the 9th-14th Centuries

Meinert, Carmen

carmen.meinert at rub.de

Conference Schedule

Date

Morning

Afternoon

Evening

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Registration

Registration

Opening Reception

Monday, August 21, 2017

Panels and Sections

Panels and Sections

Evening Presentations

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Panels and Sections

Panels and Sections

Evening Presentations

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Panels and Sections

Panels and Sections

Evening Presentations

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Panels and Sections

Excursions

Friday, August 25, 2017

Panels and Sections

Panels and Sections

Closing Reception

Registration Fee
To assist the organizers in hosting the event, we have set the Congress fee at $330 CAD. This fee includes attendance, coffee, tea and hot lunch during the academic programming, meals at both the Opening and Closing Receptions, as well as printing costs for paper programs. Not included in this fee are meals outside of the academic program and Opening and Closing Receptions, such as breakfasts and dinners, as well as travel, accommodation, excursions, and special events.

Those registering before March 31st, 2017 will enjoy a discounted fee of $300 CAD, while graduate students are entitled to a rate of $250 CAD with confirmation of enrollment status. Students from countries with low currency exchange rates when compared to the Canadian Dollar may request a fee reduction by writing to me directly at the address provided below. Decisions on fee reduction will be made on a case-by-case basis, and I regret that only a limited number of such reductions can be granted.
Fee payment will be made online through our website, where, as mentioned above, you will be expected to provide proof of payment of your IABS membership fee for 2017. Please visit the website on October 1st, 2016 to complete your online Congress registration.

Posters and Exhibits
In addition to panels and paper sections, we welcome the submission of project presentations from scholars and organizations who wish to display their work to the Congress at large. We regret that only a limited number of presentations can be selected. Please write to me directly to inquire about presenting your project at the XVIIIth IABS Congress.

Exhibitors providing professional services or products such as books are also invited to contact me directly to inquire about renting space during the Congress proceedings.

Visa Requirements
As the Congress will attract scholars and students from all over the world, it is not possible for the organising team to advise or assist with securing visas to Canada, since the process varies widely depending on the country of origin of each attendee. Potential attendees are encouraged to consult the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in their home country or country of residence as early as possible. Travel agencies are also possible sources of information on the visa process. We can, however, provide letters indicating that an individual is in fact registered to attend or present at the Congress. Please write to me directly if you wish to request such a letter.

Airline
I wish to gently remind everyone that Congress attendees are responsible for covering all travel to and from Toronto. Currently we are trying to secure a discounted rate for travel by air, and updated information will appear on the website once registration begins, October 1st, 2016. Please check the website after this date for update travel information.

Accommodation
Congress participants are responsible to secure their own accommodation and pay all attendant costs. Below is a list of accommodations near the University of Toronto, St. George Campus, some of which have granted discounted rates to Congress attendees. When booking, please inform them of your attendance at the XVIIIth Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, 2017. A range of options has been provided to suit the different needs of our Congress attendees. Please be advised that the University is located in downtown Toronto, and August is one of the busiest times of the year, so kindly book early if possible.

Budget

Single Occupancy

Double Occupancy

Admiral St. George: BB and Guesthouse
305 St. George St. / 416-921-1899

$50/Student
$95/1 Bedroom
$125/Big room

Annex Quest House
83 Spadina Road / 416-922-1934

$95/night
$545/week

Medium

Howard Johnson Hotel: Toronto-Yorkville
89 Avenue Road / 416-964-1220

$95/1 Double Bed
$143/King Bed

$109/2 Double Beds

Comfort Hotel Downtown
15 Charles St. E. / 416-924-1222

>From $119

Eaton Chelsea
33 Gerrard Street West
1-800-243-5732 / 416-595-1975

>From $169*

>From $169*

Holiday Inn Toronto: Downtown
30 Carlton Street / 416-977-6655

$177/1 Bed Executive

$177/ 2 Double Beds

Beverley Place
226 Beverley St / 416-977-0077

$180/Single, $290/Queen

High End

The Grande: Hotel and Suites
225 Jarvis Street / 416-863-9000

$229 Grand Deluxe*

$389 Two Bed Junior

Park Hyatt Toronto
4 Avenue Road / 416-925-1234

>From $309/Night

Intercontinental Toronto-Yorkville
220 Bloor Street West / 416-960-5200

$235/Night*

Windsor Arms Hotel
18 St. Thomas Street / 416-971-9666

$325/Junior Suite*

$395/Junior Suite 2 Beds

The Hazelton Hotel
118 Yorkville Ave / 416-963-6300

>From $525/Night

Four Seasons Hotel Toronto
60 Yorkville Avenue / 416-964-0411

>From $565/Night

*Special discounts for Congress attendees. Some of these rates will expire as the date of the Congress moves closer, so make sure to book at least a month in advance of the proceedings.

An updated list of accommodations will be available on the Congress website after registration begins, so please check the website regularly after this date. The Third Circular, due in April, 2017, will also contain more information about accommodations.

Conference Travel Grants
Unfortunately we are not able to provide any grants or scholarships to participants or presenters for this Congress.

Website
I urge you to consult our website regularly for updates and practical information about the upcoming Congress at http://www.iabs2017-uoft.ca/. We will be sure to update it regularly.

Third Circular
In a year from now, April 2017, I will send forth the Third Circular, the final notice before the Congress proceedings in August of that same year. The Third Circular will include a detailed academic program, further information about evening events and excursions, as well as up to date travel and accommodation information.

I truly look forward to seeing everyone in Toronto, 2017.

My warmest regards
Christoph Emmrich

Planning Committee of the XVIIIth IABS Congress

 President:

Anne MacDonald

 Chair:

Christoph Emmrich

 Members:

Wendi Adamek, University of Calgary

James Apple, University of Calgary

Dan Arnold, University of Chicago

James Benn, McMaster University

Lara Braitstein, McGill University

Chen Shen, Royal Ontario Museum

Jinhua Chen, University of British Columbia

Shayne Clarke, McMaster University

Deepali Dewan, Royal Ontario Museum

David Drewes, University of Manitoba

Frances Garrett, University of Toronto

Amanda Goodman, University of Toronto

Nam-Lin Hur, University of British Columbia

Chiara Letizia, Université de Québec

Jessica Main, University of British Columbia

Jason Neelis, Wilfrid Laurier University

Mark Rowe, McMaster University

Alicia Turner, York University

Jeff Wilson, University of Waterloo

 Advisory Board:

Collett Cox, University of Washington

Birgit Kellner, Austrian Academy of Sciences

Ulrich Pagel, University of London

Tom Tillemans, University of Lausanne

 Academic Coordination:

Anthony Scott, University of Toronto

Correspondent
Dr. Christoph Emmrich, Associate Professor
Chair, Planning Committee of the XVIIIth IABS Congress
University of Toronto, Department for the Study of Religion
170 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario M5R 2M8
Canada
E-mail: christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca