[INDOLOGY] Request

Marco Franceschini franceschini.marco at fastwebnet.it
Sat Apr 30 10:04:16 UTC 2016

Dear Johannes, dear list members,

I am forwarding the following message on behalf of prof. Torella.
–––

Dear Johannes,

I can confirm what Marco said on the ground of my own experience with Malayalam mss. at Kariyavattom. The 'cryptographic code' is basically analogous to the prastāra, i.e. the arrangement of the phonemes that  the single school may use to instruct their own adepts on how to form the various mantras (mantroddhāra). This practice is however far from being frequent.

Best regards
Raffaele

Prof. Raffaele Torella
Chair of Sanskrit