[INDOLOGY] Request

Adheesh Sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:51:33 UTC 2016

Dear Johannes, Dominik, et al,

It is almost certainly unconnected to the Tibetan case you are investigating, but perhaps the colleague's rather misleading suggestion is harkening to the textual practices of the esoteric Mahānubhāv community (c. 13th-16th C) in Maharashtra, who, in an attempt to secret themselves mostly from orthodox Brahmin scrutiny (and not “infidels” or Muslims), invented a number of ciphers to hide their writings from uninitiated eyes. This was a far more sophisticated system of coding than just illegible numbering.

for more info, please see Antonio Rigopoulos’s _The Mahanubhavs_ (Firenze, 2005), [introduction available as a PDF here: http://www.fupress.com/archivio/pdf/2317.pdf]
or Raeside’s article on “Sakala lipi” in BSOAS (1970) - https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/613009.pdf

All best wishes,
Adheesh