Re: [INDOLOGY] Yama/niyama in PÄ Å›upata and Yoga

Aleksandar Uskokov uskokov at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 29 17:45:17 UTC 2016

Dear Ganesan,

My point was not to dispute that identification, but that from Siva=Isvara
in Svetasvatara and Kalidasa it does not follow that Isvara=Siva in
Patanjali, because the term has been variously associated (there is no
avyabhicara between the two). Again, Jan Gonda's essay on the idea of
Isvara is a most worthwhile reading,

Yours
Aleksandar