[INDOLOGY] Request

Johannes Bronkhorst Johannes.Bronkhorst at unil.ch
Fri Apr 29 16:51:39 UTC 2016

Dear friends and colleagues,
A friend asked me to post the following question:

>From Amy Heller (tibetologist):  I am currently studying a 408 page
11th-12th century Tibetan Prajnaparamita from Tholing whose page numbering
does not conform to the specifics of W Tibetan manuscripts - there are many
"small" aberrant details , although the numbering is on the whole legible. A
colleague suggested to me that this is a reflection, perhaps,  of an Indian
tradition to conceal accurate numbering from the eyes of infidels,
presumably in vigor in N India, ca 10th-12th c (in Hindu and Buddhist
circles) to conceal from potential Muslim eyes??  I asked an Indian friend
(curator in an art museum) who  did not know of this tradition at all, nor
was I aware of it. Is this spurious or genuine? Feedback would be most
appreciated, thanks!

Johannes Bronkhorst