[INDOLOGY] Fwd: M-W Sanskrit-English Dictionary Co-Authors

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Fri Apr 29 09:26:55 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Artur Karp <karp at uw.edu.pl>
Date: 2016-04-29 11:18 GMT+02:00
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] M-W Sanskrit-English Dictionary Co-Authors
To: Klaus Karttunen <klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi>

Thanks for that clarification.

But, dear Klaus, I still tend to have doubts. Has M-W's correspondence been
checked? Have M-W Indian travels itineraries been checked? The lists of
people he visited collated?

M-W reminisces (p. VII): "[...] *on each occasion I met to my surprise with
learned and thoughtful natives [...] able and willing [...] to explain
difficult points in their languages, literatures, religions , and
philosophies.*"

And - even if not M-W himself, his other Western cooperators/contributors
must have had Indian assistants, at some or other time of their
professional careers as Indologists.

I can see the topic has undergone a split.

Regards,

Artur K.