Re: [INDOLOGY] Yama/niyama in PÄ Å›upata and Yoga

Rafal Kleczek kleczek.r at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:23:48 UTC 2016

Thank you very much for your observations. I have not been aware of the
variations on the concept of yama/niyama in Puranas and later Yogic texts,
it is most interesting.
The subject of difference in "niyama" regulations for ascetics at different
stages in Kauṇḍinya's theory is quite interesting. Kauṇḍinya himself
considers it a peculiar trait of the system, or scripture ("tantra"). At
the same time, a similar differentiation of niyama rules seems to be
accepted by some early Naiyāyikas, who otherwise seem to follow quite
closely the theory of Patañjali (with regard to the practice of Yoga).
Even though it seems true, that Nyāya came under influence of Pāśupata
authors at some point, this idea of differentiation of niyamas is hinted at
even in Vātsyāyana's Bhāṣya--which was written too early to speak about
Pāśupata influence, I think. Hence the search for other possible sources of
this peculiar variation.
With best wishes,
Rafal