[INDOLOGY] From the Mahabharata

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Tue Apr 26 05:23:17 UTC 2016

Masterly exposition.

But (I already used this twice, sorry), there is always a but lurking
there, somewhere behind the screens.

How do you measure 'desire'?

To my uneducated (no Amarakoṣa in the list of necessary readings) mind the
desiderative form itself guarantees the connection between the word and the
idea of desire.

 'lipsā' - ‘labdhum *icchā*’ is self-explanatory.

How intense the desire is - it's all a matter of context.

Let me guess: in certain contexts 'lipsā' could be used to describe a
momentary, inconsequential wish, to obtain something without explicit
effort ; in other contexts, perhaps, the wish to obtain something of
lasting value, the act itself coldly planned for.

Same for ‘bubhukṣā’ - intensity of the desire depends on the context.

Who *bubhukṣāṃ jayate*  - that person overcomes the feelings, the emotions
that are linked with enjoyment of food. In our example - quite strong
emotions, considering "the season of great difficulty".

"The choice of food metaphor in the context of bliss hails from a tradition
going back to Upaniṣads, where the experience of bliss was linked with
enjoyment of food" [V. Aklujkar, *Sharing the Divine Feast*, in: R.S. Khare
(ed.), *The Eternal Food: Gastronomic Ideas and Experience of Hindus and
Buddhists*, 1992, p. 99]

The epic story tellers  do not want their heroes to be perfect, and go
around trying to do things in the "grammatick" way; they supply them with
words - to use as they see fit, not always properly; their heroes act, they
are full of, more often than not, only dimly felt emotions, and they act on
them, and are known to commit mistakes.

And that is why we like them, and want to hear more about them, again and
again

Let them have their emotions.

Best,

Artur