[INDOLOGY] Eating flesh of a jogi, a magician, a healer

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:54:32 UTC 2016

“The meaning of cannibalism is that , by consuming your enemy , you inherit
his powers. In “The Story of the Grandmother” , a folk version of “Little
Red Riding Hood” the girl eats his grandmother’s flesh and drinks her
blood, which has an ambiguous purpose; she is accused of cannibalism, but a
deeper implication is that she acquires the wisdom of the progenitrix which
helps her trick the wolf/werewolf. This notion of ingesting the older often
took the form of ritual meals. To eat a symbolical figure signified
receiving magical power.”
----- Folktales and Fairy Tales: Traditions and Texts from around the World

By Donald Haase Ph.D., Anne E. Duggan Ph.D., pp 364-365

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )