[INDOLOGY] Eating flesh of a jogi, a magician, a healer

Dagmar Wujastyk d.wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:16:08 UTC 2016

In David G. White's *Alchemical Body*, he describes some stories about
eating the flesh of alchemists. See here
<https://books.google.ca/books?id=pQuqAAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=David+Gordon+White+alchemical+body&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=flesh&f=false>
(I hope the link works for you).
Human flesh also occurs as an ingredient in some alchemical works, even in
late ones such as the Rasajalanidhi (actually, the reference in that work
is about an oil derived from a human's body, so not flesh consumption,
strictly speaking). There is a recipe in Rāvana's Arkaprakāśa, in which
human flesh is used as an agent against poison. There is also a recipe for
a pill based on human flesh in the Rasasāra by Govinda. And human flesh and
blood also occur as ingredients in the Rasopaniṣad. See J.G.
Meulenbeld's *History
of Indian Medical Literature*, Volume IIA, pages 467, 693 and 738
respectively for exact references.
Grizzly topic!

Best wishes, Dagmar

Virenfrei.