[INDOLOGY] Misunderstood origins

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:44:26 UTC 2016

Just a brief follow-up regarding Bronkhorst's work, since I am one of the
individuals whose work Bronkhorst cites as significantly misunderstanding
the import of the "early" Upanisadic formulations of karma (see, The Vedic
Origins of Karma, 1989, a revision of my dissertation).

Bronkhorst's work views the Indian texts as well as the assorted strands of
Buddhism, Jainism, and Vedic thought with a deep chronological (a term that
occurs frequently in the work) bias. Personally, I find many of his
arguments compelling, and I consider his work ground-breaking (this is a
notoriously difficult realm to penetrate; Witzel, too, has made significant
strides here).

My argument, however, was made on a quite different basis. Following the
type of work that I (as a graduate student) believed Heesterman was engaged
in, I sought out conceptual (not chronological) origins; that is, I wanted
to see what Vedic concepts could be "unearthed" within the representation
of karma in the Upanishads; in other words, to get a sense of the Vedic
framework--which is stated in fairly clear terms throughout the Satapatha
Brahmana in particular (as discussed in my work)--on which karma hangs in
the Upanishads (in this, there are some implicit chronological assumptions
of "early and late").  As I view the project now, I recall some
Durkheim-ian influences as I considered the Upanishads, and their
doctrines, as having to be meaningful within a "collective consciousness"
of Indian thought that encompassed the Vedic period broadly (again, not as
a matter of chronology, but as a matter of discourse).

with regards,

Herman Tull