[INDOLOGY] chakras and vedic meditation

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 05:43:39 UTC 2016

Dear Friends,

Where might I find the first mention of *cakras* as an energetic system
used for meditation? How old might these texts be? I thought that a
significant portion was developed from Buddhist and tantric praxis?

I am currently analysing marketing material from yoga organisations to
better understand the 'vedic way of life' and 'vedic lifestyle'. There
seems to be a conflation of several facets of puranic and upanishadic
concepts with 'vedic' into something of a neo-Hindu and/or neo-vedanta
'soup'. Among other things I am interested in what constitutes this
particular lifestyle and how it is used to create a sense of authenticity
and legitimacy.

One example, in particular, is the idea of 'vedic meditation'. The picture
of a god used in one example
<http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Hindu-Vedic-Spirituality-and-Lifestyle/events/219960721/>
seems
to have very little to do with the vedic period at all. I could be wrong.
Does anyone know which particular god this image is?

Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney

PhD Candidate