[INDOLOGY] Indology and Tibetology to close at the University of Copenhagen

Stefan Baums baums at lmu.de
Mon Apr 4 11:38:37 UTC 2016

Dear Howard,

> The fields of Modern India, and Indian Languages
> and Culture are to be maintained and reopened in
> 2017. I wonder to what extent these two areas will
> cover ancient and pre-modern Indian history and
> languages.

the official notification from the University of
Copenhagen governing board

   http://bestyrelse.ku.dk/moeder/moeder2016/bestyrelsesmode-82-b/Pkt.04.01.pdf

contains the following:

   INDOLOGI: Lukkes som fuld BA‐ og KA‐uddannelse,
   men søges videreført som BA‐tilvalg knyttet til
   uddannelsen i Moderne Indien.

   [INDOLOGY: Will be closed as full BA and MA course
   of study, but attempts will be made to continue it
   as a BA elective associated with the Modern India
   course of study.]

Hardly a consolation, and the formulation “søges”
does not inspire confidence in even this much.

All best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Baums
Institute for Indian and Tibetan Studies