[INDOLOGY] Nyaya discussions on faulty examples

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 2 14:58:32 UTC 2015

Dear Joseph,

There may be some material of use to you in:

Shoryu Katsura and Ernst Steinkellner (eds)
The Role of the Example (drstanta) in Classical Indian Logic
 New Delhi, India Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Pvt. Ltd.

I recall faults of the example being commonly invoked in the Tattvasamgraha and its Panjika
in critiquing various positions. For instance, at verse 1974, Subhagupta is credited with
defending atomism as follows: “Because forms that are collections of subtle things are external visibles owing to grossness, like mountains and such like."

In his discussion of Santaraksita's critique, Kamalasila says, "... if “because of grossness” is taken as a warranting reason based on grossness as an ultimate reality, a substantial property, then such grossness is not proven ...
and the example [of mountains] is in no way probative."

So K is saying, in effect, we don't accept your example, in which case it clearly does not hold for "both parties."

Sorry not to have included the diacritical marks,
but hope this is of some help anyway,

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago