Re: [INDOLOGY] Question: 360 non-Buddhist schools in Bhāvaviveka

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 19:00:03 UTC 2015

Dear Anna,

This information is very helpful. It is quite possible that Bhāviveka (this
form of his name is now better attested than Bhāvaviveka) drew this list
from some Mīmāṃsā commentary. So the Mīmāṃsā scholars here may be able to
help in searching for this list.

As for Tibetan sources, at the Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center website (
tbrc.org) one can now search their whole collection of etexts
electronically (http://tbrc.org/#library_BannerAdvanced). Thus, a search
for bcings nas 'dug pa yielded ten matches, some of which were Tengyur
texts. With luck, one of these will have an extant Sanskrit original that
can then be checked.

It appears that this list is repeated in several texts. Two of these are
from a collection of kośas (in the sense of the Amara-kośa) and their
commentaries. One appears to be the Yānāgraratnakośa, and one appears to be
the Cintāratnakośa-vṛtti, Puṇḍarīka-nama. Thus it is quite possible
that Bhāviveka
took this list from a kośa or its commentary. So the extant Sanskrit kośas,
too, may be checked by Sanskrit scholars here.

Also, variant readings in the Tibetan will be important here. You may wish
to consult this text in the Comparative Tengyur, vol. 58. This very
conveniently collates the Peking, Narthang, and Co-ne editions with the
Derge, taking the Derge as base, and giving the differing readings from the
other editions in endnotes.

Wishing you success,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.