[INDOLOGY] Honor code (Was Re: Raji Malhotra, plagiarism, and the Saraswati)

Allen Thrasher alanus1216 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 03:21:57 UTC 2015

I entered Harvard as a freshman in 1963, received the A.B. in 1967 and the Ph.D. in 1972, and do not remember any honor code.  I seem to recall that two proctors who monitored most finals were careful to tell us they had ways of knowing if anyone used "blue books" that they themselves brought in rather than those that they handed out.  In other words, they trusted their methods rather than students' honor. In some American universities (e.g. University of Virginia) traditionally the honor code was administered by a group of students rather than the faculty or administration.  This is discussed in a not particularly thorough Wikipedia article "Academic honor code."
I hope this topic is from October 2015 rather than an earlier year.  I have been tidying up my Yahoo account (which Yahoo does not do very well), and find the date notation ambiguous.
Allen