[INDOLOGY] Identification of verse

Will Sweetman will.sweetman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 21:32:26 UTC 2015

Dear all

I'd be grateful for any assistance in identifying the source of this
verse, transliterated from some sort of devanagari

sarva dṛṣta sarva śrōta
sarva kretā ca rakṣakaḥ
sarva jñaḥ sarva rūpī ca
sarvam ca sarvataḥ pitā

The character given here as ca is unrecognisable to me, but from the
Roman and Telugu transliteration, I'm fairly sure that is what's intended.

This is taken from a letter of an early eighteenth-century Jesuit
missionary to a Telugu-speaking region who (like me) confessed that he'd
forgotten all the Sanskrit he'd learned, so the errors here may be his
or mine.

Best wishes

Will