[INDOLOGY] Ananya Vajpeyi on Hindutva, caste, and Brahminical values

Greg Bailey Greg.Bailey at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 23:50:12 UTC 2015

Dear List,

A student who does not know Sanskrit has asked the following question: "I am doing some research into the etymological history of the term 'gender'. Currently I am trying to find out whether the term was used in Sanskrit to denote the socio-sexual meaning of the term, or whether the usage was restricted to the grammatical meaning."

Apart from the name of the three grammatical genders and the other common means of 'mark, characteristic' and 'penis,' can anybody please recommend any articles that may be of use?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Bailey