Re: [INDOLOGY] unidentified subhāṣita

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 20:12:09 UTC 2015

Dear Alessandro,

If you're collecting proverbs that say "Even Brahma..." there's this, which sums up a
magnificent story of love, politics, and social and theological subversion:

suprayuktasya dambhasya brahmApy antaM na gacchati | kauliko vizNurUpeNa rAjakanyAM
nizevate ||

"Even Brahma does not get to the bottom of a well-conducted fraud: the weaver in the form
of Vishnu cohabited with the princess."

(Purnabhadra's version of the Pancatantra (J. Hertel, The Panchatantra: A Collection of
Ancient Indian Tales in the Recension called Panchakhyanaka, Cambridge, MA (USA),
Harvard University Press, 1908, p.46)

Yours,

Dermot Killingley