Best way to type Sanskrit in Windows?

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 04:51:05 UTC 2015

It's ironic that I have to ask this question because I created some of the earliest software and fonts to do this back when the Mac first came out but I haven't kept up.

What is the best way to type Sanskrit using the Windows OS?
For years I used ITranslator because it was easy to touch type it and convert to both devanagari and transliteration.
Surely a better solution has been developed by now; and one that directly supports Unicode output.
I realize there are several issues involved (such as Unicode being separate from input) but I'm wondering if there's an easy to use, integrated solution these days?
Best,
Dean