Re: [INDOLOGY] Fw: Yāska's Nirukta - Digital editions and word lists

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Tue Nov 24 11:02:33 UTC 2015

- The Nirukta is still to be found on GRETIL in Veda > Vedanga > Pratisakhyas
http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gret_utf.htm#Nirukta
http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/1_sanskr/1_veda/5_vedang/3_pratis/niruktau.htm

- On Indologica/Digitalisierte Werke <http://www.indologica.de/drupal/?q=node/62 >, there is a reference to the 1st ed. (1921) of Sarup + to Roth's edition of 1852:
The Nighaṇṭu and the Nirukta : the oldest Indian treatise on etymology, philology and semantics / critically ed. from original manuscripts and transl. for the first time into English, with introd., exegetical and critical notes, three indexes and eight appendices. English Translation and Notes by Lakshman Sarup. - London : Oxford University Press, 1921. - 259 S.	URL: http://library.du.ac.in/dspace/handle/1/1765 (Digital Library, University of Delhi) Dateiformat: PDF	Notiz: In der Vorlage fehlt das Titelblatt

Roth, Rudolf von (1821-1895) [Hrsg.]
Jāska's Nirukta sammt den Nighaṇṭavas / hrsg. und erläutert von Rudolph Roth. - Göttingen : Verlag der Dieterichschen Buchhandlung, 1852. - LXXII, 228, 230 S.
Notiz: Yāska: Nirukta.	URL: http://books.google.com/books?id=eagIAAAAQAAJ (Google Books. Digitalisiert: 13. Juni 2007, Vorlage: Oxford University)	Dateiformat: G; PDF

- On the DLI < http://www.new1.dli.ernet.in > s.v. "Nirukta", no less than 4 pages of references : various editions (e.g. the one by H.M. & R.G. Bhadkamkar, vols 1 & 2, 1918 & 1942, Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit Series 73 & 85) and works (e.g. Yaskas Nirukta And The Science Of Etymology. Bhattacharya,Bishnupada. 1958).
Note that for the DLI, a better viewing (and whole .pdf) is now available for some items, see this one: http://dli.serc.iisc.ernet.in/handle/2015/283544

Le 23 nov. 2015 à 21:07, Dan Lusthaus <yogacara at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear Martin,
>
> For some reason GRETIL no longer carries Yāska. I saved a copy that used to be there, which I am attaching. Since it marks word boundaries with periods e-searches have to be careful.
>
> Lakshman Sarup's edition and translation is quite readable.
>
> L. Sarup. The Nighaṇṭu and the Nirukta. Motilal Banarsidass (numerous rpts)
>
> The following discuss Yaska in detail, primarily evaluating his etymologies from the perspective of modern 'scientific' etymologies:
>
> Siddheshwar Varma. The Etymologies of Yāska. Hoshiarpur: Vishveshvanand Institute Publications, 1953
> and
> Hannes Skold. The Nirukta: Its place in old Indian Literature and Etymologies. Lund, London, Paris, Oxford, Leipzig, 1926
>
> I'm unaware of e-editions of those.
>
> best,
> Dan Lusthaus

Christophe Vielle