[INDOLOGY] Query

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 06:04:34 UTC 2015

Dear Patrick,

Historically, long compounds seem to have begun with dvandvas. The relationship of the constituents is uniform and easiest to understand in a dvandva. There is no syntactic complexity. Essentially all one does is to list. In the Artha-śāstra, too, almost all long compounds are dvandvas. In verse texts like the Yājñavalkya Smṛti the only additional constraint is to rearrange the items in such a way as to fit the expected sequence of heavy and light syllables. In the śloka or anuṣṭubh metre such rearranging is not very difficult to achieve.

Best.

ashok