[INDOLOGY] Query

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 13 21:02:12 UTC 2015

In the Yājñavalkya Smṛti I find what I think is an unusual phenomenon—a very large number of verses where a compound breaches the pāda boundaries, and quite a large number of verses where one compound spans an entire line (two pādas). I find 9.5% (192 total) of half-verses in YDh following this pattern.

Do you know of any studies done about this phenomenon in other parallel texts in verse? I would like to know whether this is peculiar to Yājñavalkya or a broader phenomenon. I have not found this common in other Dharmaśāstras.

With thanks,

Patrick