[INDOLOGY] Sources for verses on fate/karma

Elliot Stern emstern at verizon.net
Wed May 27 19:31:57 UTC 2015

The opening of Vyomaśiva’s commentary appears in clearer form in my article,  Padārthasaṅgrahaṭīkā of Vyomaśiva: A Partial Reconstruction of Folia 2-3a, pages 401-413 of Karin Preisendanc, editor, Expanding and Merging Horizons (Vienna, 2007).

We may doubt that devībhāgavatam is the source of the verse nābhuktaṃ kṣīyate karma kalpakoṭiśatairapi |avaśyameva bhoktavyaṃ kṛtaṃ karma śubhāśubham ||

Here is devībhāgavatam 9.40.72cd-74cd:

uktaṃ hi svakṛtaṃ karma bhujyatekhilabhārate || 72 ||

śubhāśubhaṃ ca yatkiñcitsvakarmaphalabhukpumān | nābhuktaṃ kṣīyate karma kalpakoṭiśatairapi || 73 ||

avaśyameva bhoktavyaṃ kṛtaṃ karma śubhāśubham | ityevamuktaṃ vede ca kṛṣṇena paramātmanā || 74 ||

devībhāgavatam 9.29.69cd reads only this half verse: nābhuktaṃ kṣīyate karma kalpakoṭiśatairapi || 69||. The reference to verse 70 appears to be an error.

Note: I have used a scan of the edition by rāmatejapāṇḍya available for download at vedpuran.net <http://vedpuran.net/>. The scan gives only the text without the title page, etc.

I need some help in understanding Walter’s mahābhārata reference.

I will upload a pdf of the CSS edition of vyomaśiva’s commentary  to archive.org <http://archive.org/> in the near future. I downloaded this from DLI.

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143-2029