[INDOLOGY] Sources for verses on fate/karma

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sun May 24 14:07:07 UTC 2015

Dear Martin,

Regarding your third verse:

nābhuktaṃ kṣīyate karma kalpakoṭiśatair api |
avaśyam eva bhoktavyaṃ kṛtaṃ karma śubhāśubham ||

You are no doubt aware of a similar verse that is found in a number of
Buddhist texts. An early source for it has recently been published, from
which I here quote it:

na praṇaśyanti karmāṇi kalpakoṭiśatair api |
sāmagrīṃ prāpya kālaṃ ca phalanti khalu dehināṃ ||

This is from the *Dhanapālakavaineyas**ūtra*, published in *A Unique
Collection of Twenty S**ūtras in a Sanskrit Manuscript from the Potala*,
editions and translation by Bhikṣuṇī Vinītā, vol. I,2, p. 692 (Sanskrit
Texts from the Tibetan Autonomous Region, no. 7/2. Beijing -- Vienna: China
Tibetology Publishing House, Austrian Academy of Sciences Press, 2010).

While this does not answer your question, I thought it worthwhile to cite
this recently available old source for the similar Buddhist verse.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Cotopaxi, Colorado, U.S.A.