[INDOLOGY] Documenting manuscripts

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:23:52 UTC 2015

​Many of us work with Indian manuscripts.  I'd like to draw attention to a
LaTeX package called biblatex-manuscripts-philology
<https://www.ctan.org/pkg/biblatex-manuscripts-philology>, written by
Maïeul Rou­quette.  It offers an extention to the amazing biblatex package
that gives a formal, structured way of recording and printing manuscript
data.  The package has two goals:

   1. To provide a new datatype: @manuscripts fields specifically for
   manuscript information;
   2. To provides new bibliography styles to print the list of manuscripts:
      - As a detailed list of witnesses of a text.
      - As a conspectus siglorum.

The package's example file
<http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex-contrib/biblatex-manuscripts-philology/documentation/example.pdf>
gives an idea of what the output can look like.

If a number of people start using this -- and extending it as necessary for
Sanskrit sources -- we'll gradually build up a useful resource that could
be shared.

The One True Way is XML
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/MS.html>.  But some of
us, myself included, still prefer using TeX because it gives an immediate
result, and one can stay more focussed on the writing and thinking.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk