[INDOLOGY] Ayurvedic query

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 6 09:56:49 UTC 2015

Dear all,
there is also a Kew general botanical index (I have the URL at home, cannot give it now) which I have found very useful. Quite many colleagues (e.g. R. Syed) have used Roxburgh flora, although it is, of course, wholly anticipated (publ. 1820-24). I do not, but as my brother as a professional botanist says, this is acceptable, when clearly announced and consistently done – then it is always possible to find the valid games. A further problem is that there are many cases where a simple X = Y does not work. When the plant X is Y in the north, it may also be Z in the south and so on. And this depends on (supposed or real) similar medical properties, not on any botanical affinity.

Best
Klaus

Klaus Karttunen
South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)2941 4482418
Fax +358-(0)2941 22094