[INDOLOGY] Fwd: matta-matanga-lilakara dandaka

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Thu Mar 5 18:31:53 UTC 2015

Dear Venetia,

 Rūpa Gosvāmin uses a *mattamātaṅgalīlākara *meter in the 11th poem of his
*Chando'ṣṭādaśa* in the *Stavamālā *(pp. 200-203 in the Kāvyamālā 84
edition, with the discussion of the meter at the end). His commentator,
Baladeva Vidyābhūṣaṇa, cites a definition that appears in the
Prākṛtapiṅgala 2.303 (p. 230 in Kāvyamālā 41), but Baladeva attributes the
definition to the *Vṛttaratnākara. *Though the meter is not mentioned in
the *Vṛttaratnākara, *it is discussed in Nārāyaṇa Bhaṭṭa's commentary
thereupon (pp. 121-122 in Śarmā's 1962 edition, Kashi Sanskrit Series 55).

 I should note that the definition considered in these sources does not
match yours, in that it does not, as *daṇḍaka*s usually do, have two
initial *na*-s. *Prākṛtapiṅgala *2.303: *yatra rephaḥ paraṁ svecchayā
gumphitaḥ sa smṛto daṇḍako mattamātaṅgalīlākaraḥ.* (Neither the definition
itself nor the following *udāharaṇa* have intitial *na*-s, so these cannot
be assumed from larger *daṇḍaka *patterns.) Nor have I seen any discussion
of subtypes, such as you mention.

 I hope this helps. I have PDFs of all the texts mentioned above if you
need anything.

Regards,
David

David Buchta