Re: [INDOLOGY] Searching for a little-known Nyāya

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Sat Jun 27 07:33:07 UTC 2015

Suresh:

> Does any other Indian language show an equivalent of *śaśī-sarpa-nyāya?*

 Perhaps a “courageous-weak-female-conquers-physically-strong-male”
paradigm is the original notion at its basis. This could have found various
forms of expression, and the “*śaśī-sarpa*-nyāya” may very well have taken
shape as a witty ad-hoc Sanskritization of internalized popular sayings.
They might possibly draw on the behaviour of animals entirely different
from hares and snakes. As stated initially, I was immediately reminded of
Gandhiji’s “violence of the mouse against the cat”. On second thoughts
however – inspired by the empirical evidence of the “Go, Mr. Bunny, kill
that snake!” video – I have my doubts, whether such a nyāya would be
conceivable at all. Is it likely that a mouse behaves violently against a
cat, and that observations of that kind had really been made? Could Jan
possibly contribute a live video footage to solve this question? :-)

I changed upon three instances using a “weaker female / stronger male”
metaphor taken from the animal kingdom. The female (Queen Koṭā from
Kashmir) is compared to a mouse, to a (female) jackal, and to a bird
respectively, her male opponents however to a cat and a lion. Guess, who
wins! I for one failed to find traces of heroic courage in it.

Regards,

WS

Jonarāja’s *Rājataraṅgiṇī*

*saṅkaṭāt kampaneśas tāṃ kulāyād iva pakṣiṇīm *|

*jīvagrāhaṃ gṛhītvātha kārāpañjaram ānayat *|| JRT 286 ||

„[But] the commander captured her alive out of a defile as one catches a
bird out of its nest [and] then threw her into prison [just as one throws a
bird into] a cage.“

*nivṛttanetracārasya capalatvaikakāraṇam *|

*ākhur** bilagato votoś Śāhamerasya sābhavat* || [Ps-JRT 17, B 341] ||

„[Since] swift movement would set [someone’s] resting eyes in motion,
[Koṭā] behaved towards Šāh Mīr like a mouse in a hole towards a cat.“

*niruddhe balinā koṭaguhābhre matiśālinā* |

*nṛsiṃhenā**bhajat Koṭā sṛgālīva muhur bhayam* || JRT 302 ||

„Almost like a jackal Koṭā was suddenly seized with fear when the mighty,
clever man, who resembled a lion, besieged [her] towering refuge.“