Re: [INDOLOGY] Searching for a little-known Nyāya

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 12:08:52 UTC 2015

Valerie: aren't black-naped hares (*Lepus nigricollis*), also known as
Indian hares, native to India? As you may know, Dravidian languages have a
non-IA word for rabbit/hare: **mucal*/*muyal (*Telugu *kundēlu *is an
interesting exception)*.* Are there any other non-IE words for hare in
other Indian languages? I think the words *kharabhaka/ kharago**ś**  (*खरगोश)
'donkey's ears'  are of recent origin, and perhaps have a Persian
connection.

Elliot: You are right about the language in the video. It is indeed Telugu
-- distinctly the Telangana variety. The kids are indeed speaking
Americanized English. They must be one of the Telugu-American immigrant
families.

Walter:  I heard *mahānasa-śaśa-nyāya* (rabbit in the kitchen -- easy to
catch) and *śaśa-viṣāṇa-nyāya* (a hare's horn -- a term for an
impossibility), but not the one you mentioned. I know *śaśi as moon * (in
compound form for*śaśin *is moon), but not as a feminine form of *śaśa. *Does
any other Indian language show an equivalent of *śaśī-sarpa-nyāya?*

Suresh.