[INDOLOGY] Publication announcement: Jaina painting and manuscript culture

Julia Hegewald julia.hegewald at uni-bonn.de
Fri Jun 19 15:37:14 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues and friends,

I would like to draw your attention to my latest publication

Jaina Painting and Manuscript Culture: In Memory of Paolo Pianarosa

which has just been published by EB-Verlag in Berlin at the price of 78,- Euros. It is a hardcover book with 421 pages and colour illustrations throughout. It has been published in the series Studies in Asian Art and Culture (SAAC).

Please find below a table of contents of the book and attached a flyer and order form for the book. I would be delighted if you would draw the attention of interested scholars and institutions to this new publication on Jaina illustrated manuscripts and paintings.

with best wishes,

Julia.

Table of Contents

Preface

Chapter 1
Introduction: Jaina Manuscript Culture and the Pianarosa Library in Bonn
Julia A. B. Hegewald

Chapter 2
Studying Jainism: Life and Library of Paolo Pianarosa, Turin
Tiziana Ripepi

Chapter 3
The Multiple Meanings of Manuscripts in Jaina Art and Sacred Space
Julia A. B. Hegewald

Chapter 4
Jaina Paintings and Manuscripts in the Victoria and Albert Museum
Nick Barnard

Chapter 5
Cultural Cache
Nachiket Chanchani

Chapter 6
Cause and Effect: Illustrating the Pañcakalyāṇaka
Robert J. Del Bontà

Chapter 7
Illustrations from a Bhūpālacauvīsīkāvyabhāṣārtha Manuscript
Patrick F. Krüger

Chapter 8
Narratives, Visuals, Performances: Manuscripts of Jaina Stories in Vernaculars
Nalini Balbir

Chapter 9
Illustrated Jaina Collections in the British Library
Jennifer Howes

Chapter 10
Reading Śatruñjaya Paṭas as Mnemonics: Performing Mental Pilgrimages of Devotion (Bhāva Yātrā)
Andrea Luithle-Hardenberg

Chapter 11
Colossi and Lotus Feet: Paṇḍitas and Bhaṭṭārakas in the North Indian Digambara Legacy
Eva De Clercq and Tillo Detige

Chapter 12
The Transmission of the Devotional Songs of Ānandghan
Imre Bangha

Glossary

List of Plates

Notes on Contributors

P.S. In case the attached flyer can’t be sent via the list, then please send me an email and I will forward it to you.

(P.S. Also just appeared in this series is SAAC vol. 2 by Tiziana Lorenzetti, Understanding the Hindu Temple: History, Symbols and Forms).

Prof. Dr. Julia A. B. Hegewald
Professorin für Orientalische Kunstgeschichte
Abteilungsleiterin
Universität Bonn
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften (IOA)
Abteilung für Asiatische und Islamische Kunstgeschichte
Adenauerallee 10
D – 53113 Bonn

Email: julia.hegewald at uni-bonn.de
www.aik.uni-bonn.de