[INDOLOGY] prof. or mr. or mrs. or ms. etc first name

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:27:28 UTC 2015

I wonder if this is more akin to the (as far as I know, only British) usage
such as Sir William, Sir James, with no mention made of family name?
A quick and entirely unscientific google research (you know, like how our
students often 'do research') yielded plenty of ghits of "Father + [first
name only]"

so... (as with much 'research', no conclusion)

jonathan

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Christophe Vielle <
christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:

> The R.P. Jo(h)annes Ernestus Hanxleden and Paulinus a Sancto Bartholomaeo
> are remembered in Malayalam tradition as, respectively,  *arṇṇōsŭ pātiri * (‘Father
> Ernest(o)’) and *paulinōsŭ pātiri*  ('Father Paulinos'). I suppose that
> their Indian name was something accepted and used by themselves in the
> local context.
>
> Le 17 juin 2015 à 14:25, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> On 17 June 2015 at 07:45, Arlo Griffiths <arlogriffiths at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Prof. Paturi,
>>
>> ​... I believe that for most native English speakers it sounds strange to
>> see an academic title combined with a first name rather than the surname,
>>

> ​As a native speaker of British English, I would agree with that.  Nobody
> actually does it, as far as I know.  If I heard it, in a UK context, I
> would assume it was an error, and reply,
> "No, 'Dominik' is my first name.  My family name is 'Wujastyk'."
>
> Best,
> ​Dr Dominik​ :-)
>

> –––––––––––––––––––
> Christophe Vielle <http://www.uclouvain.be/christophe.vielle>
> Louvain-la-Neuve

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html