[INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding Indology at the IHRC

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 08:22:37 UTC 2015

I agree with Hans Hock, George Thompson and others that we can't say for certain what the language of the IVC was, and that it was mostly likely multilingual. And, I would add multicultural, since it was at the intersection of several different cultures: Coastal Indian, Doab Indian, Central Indian, Himalayan, Iranian, and Central Asian, not to mention the evidence for oceanic trade with Mesopotamia.
I am not saying that there were definitely large numbers of Indo-Iranians in the Harappan Civlization but, according to mainstream Indo-European scholars, they were not that far away in Central Asia, and the Harappans did have overland trade with and through those regions. So the existence of Indo-Iranian communities among the Harappans is not at all unreasonable. I believe Asko Parpola proposed as much; and perhaps Madhav Deshpande, although I don't have their publications at hand. Perhaps they could comment.
On another topic, the reason scholars reject the Hindutva-inspired theories is not because of their politics but because of generally poor quality of their scholarship. This is as it should be. I'm glad to see that accusations of racism and nationalism have not gained traction in this discussion because such inflammatory terms only serve to distract us from the real scholarly issues pertaining to ancient India.
This is not, of course, to declare that the study of the effect of modern racist or nationalist ideologies on Indology should be off-limits. But they are two different, yet often conflated, topics that should be kept separate.
Best,
Dean AndersonEast West Cultural Institute