[INDOLOGY] Does anyone know of Sanskrit works that use 2nd-syllable rhyming?

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 07:13:21 UTC 2015

On p. 188 of the earlier referenced article, Indira Peterson says, “In Dravidian vernacular poetic texts, initial rhyme occurs at the beginning of and within the line of poetry, while second-consonant or -syllable rhyme is placed only at the beginning of the line of poetry, i.e., yati is a line-internal rhyme pattern, while prāsa is line-external.” This is not correct as far as Tamil is concerned. The second syllable rhyme can also occur within a line in different patterns. Assuming there are are four feet in a line, the second-syllable rhyming can occur in different patterns such as between feet 1 and 2; 1 and 3; 1 and 4; 1, 2, and 3; 1, 3, and 4; 1, 2, and 4; and 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Peterson does discuss BhP on the same page.

Regards,
Palaniappan