[INDOLOGY] text reuse

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 20:45:39 UTC 2015

Dear Friends,

In the hope of gaining something academically useful out of what otherwise
might (have already) become a sort of mud slinging fight, I would like to
mention the now increasingly well studied area of "text reuse."
Of course, this is in part behind the project of E. Prets, and it is
conceptually behind plagiarism detection software etc., but it should be
noted that there is considerable work being done with regard to Classical
Studies, and to my knowledge (I'm not sure if this has been published yet)
on Arabic World Histories. I myself am interested in this approach to what
I see as the modularity of Buddhist scriptural literature, although the
notion of modular composition is not exactly the same as text reuse as
generally understood.
For a general overview of 'historical text reuse', one might see as a start
http://etrap.gcdh.de/?page_id=332
I mean here only to point out an additional resource (not the website in
particular, but the notion) to frame this discussion in what may be a
helpful direction.

Best, Jonathan

--
J. Silk
Leiden University

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html