[INDOLOGY] Developing story on alleged plagiarism by Rajiv Malhotra

Veeranarayana Pandurangi veerankp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:46:31 UTC 2015

dear all
it seems indologists are not interested any more in the petition seeking
withdrawal Rajiv's books. This petition by Jesse knutson has attracted only
218 supporters as  I write this piece,

compared to 4053 supporters to the petition not to ban Wendy Doniger's
Books lasy year (
https://www.change.org/p/members-of-both-houses-of-the-indian-parliament-and-the-honorable-law-minister-government-of-india-reconsider-and-revise-sections-153-a-and-295-a-of-the-indian-penal-code-to-protect-freedom-of-expression-in-india
)

and much lower number compared to 9462 supporters to the petition for
non-withdrawal of Rajiv's books (
https://www.change.org/p/publishers-of-rajiv-malhotra-s-books-do-not-yield-to-mafia-pressure-tactics-that-seek-to-compromise-intellectual-freedom
)

Hence I call upon  all to concentrate on discussing the subject dealt by
Rajiv rather than 7 sentences without quotation marks, (see prof.
aklujkar's remark "it is first time in") though I agree it is a simple
mistake to leave these 7 sentences without quotation mark. Even rajiv
admitted it. it will be corrected in next editions.

it does not matter whether he is racist or utter fool. if you see anything
without evidence in his books please concentrate on it. why some of members
are so furious about him? why dont stand for free speech?

I also ask our colleagues to send me scanned copies of his books if anybody
has. so we can glance it.

we stand together for free speech is the conclusion.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Howard Resnick <hr at ivs.edu> wrote:

> "Cut to 2015, and we now have the Rajiv Malhotra issue. His explanation
> for lifting passages from various publications was that “Sanskrit language
> has no quotation marks.”
>
> Interestingly, this article too does not address the main “explanation."
> It also does not mention that Malhotra admitted he could have done a better
> job at citation.
>

> On Jul 18, 2015, at 4:00 PM, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Article in yesterday's *The Hindu*:
>
>    - It doesn’t hurt to say sorry
>    <http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/on-owning-up-to-mistakes-in-the-public-sphere/article7434214.ece>
>    / Sruthi Radhakrishnan

Veeranarayana N.K. Pandurangi
Director of Academics
Dean, Faculty of Vedantas
Karnakata Samskrita University,
Pampa Mahakavi Road,
Chamarajpet, Bengaluru.

अथ चेत्त्वमिमं धर्म्यं संग्रामं न करिष्यसि। ततः स्वधर्मं कीर्तिं च हित्वा
पापमवाप्स्यसि।।
तस्मादुत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिश्चयः। निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व
विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

http://www.ksu.ac.in
http://www.ksu.ac.in/en/dr-veeranarayana-n-k-pandurangi/
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/bvparishat>