[INDOLOGY] Malhotra's motives

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 20 04:40:40 UTC 2015

Agreed, Dominik.

It is surprising to see all these posts on INDOLOGY trying to justify
Malhotra.

Malhotra proudly says in his 'challenge' to Andrew Nicholson that:

"For the first 10 years of my work in this area, I gave away a
substantial portion of my life savings in an unsuccessful attempt to
fund and change the Indologists’ hearts."

So he got tired of giving money to "Western" indologists (whatever a
Western indologist is) and institutions because those Indologists would
not change their hearts. In other words, he was not interested in
sponsoring open research, only research that conformed to his ideology.
Then, he explains, he turned against /them/, and "became their harshest
critic."

And he profers a threat:

"I have on file a lot of grant correspondence with Harvard, Princeton,
Columbia, to name just a few. Naturally, they worry that I am exposing
their secrets. One day I will get someone to organize all that material
into a publication."

So he is now threatening to punish these /rogue/ Indologists for not
having converted to his ideology.

Malhotra quotes are from:

http://swarajyamag.com/culture/dear-andrew-nicholson/

Luis