[INDOLOGY] Amartya Sen and Nalanda

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Tue Jul 14 08:33:55 UTC 2015

> "entry qualifications"? If Sen knows this, it is a new discovery. I don't
think anyone knows anything about how 'students' were granted 'admission'
to 'study' at Nalanda. The entire presentation of Nalanda as a 'university'
with 'students' who come to 'study' there is, to my mind, fantastical.

Is not the office of intellectually high-ranking dvārapālas, who were to
decide about admission to Buddhist centres of learning of the Nālandā
calibre,  mentioned in foreign pilgrims' accounts ? Their function would
have been to test the mental skills of aspirants. I have only a very faint
memory, certainly dating back more than thirty years, of having read about
that in Chinese and/or Tibetan accounts. I am almost sure that for instance
Śāntarakṣita, too, did hold such a position. Unless the function of a
monastic dvārapāla was not entirely different from the one I am (hopefully
correctly) recalling, it was probably an office of such a kind Sen might
have borne in mind when writing about "entry qualifications".

Regards,
WS

Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1