[INDOLOGY] More uninformed discussion of ancient India

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 12:30:58 UTC 2015

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for reminding me of the title. I did read the whole book, thinking that his ideas stood
up despite the pseudo-indology.

With best wishes,

Dermot

On 13 Jul 2015 at 13:28, Jonathan Silk wrote:

The book is "The Idea of Justice" and it is indeed filled with ignorance about India, or at least
Classical India, let us say. I have to confess I could not even finish the book, so fed up was I.
It is perhaps a bit like the phenomenon one encounters, e.g., with Richard Dawkins. Were I
to start talking about biology, I expect he would dismiss me in a few words, and rightly so,
just as Sen should do were I to spout off about economics. Why is the reverse humility rarely
in evidence, I wonder.

Jonathan