[INDOLOGY] More uninformed discussion of ancient India

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 10:10:41 UTC 2015

Dear Jonathan,

Yes, Amartya Sen does seem to project modern ideas of what a university is on to what must
have been a very different sort of institution, and it spoils the case he is defending.

It's not the first time that he has claimed a specious continuity with ancient Indian culture. In a
book whose title I forget, he makes great play with the terms nyaya and niti, as if they were
etymologically related, but without indicating how they are used in Sanskrit literature, or
anchoring his use of them in any earlier use. I was impressed by his arguments on
economics and ethics, but thought they were let down by his apparent assumption that
because he is Indian his ideas ought to have Indian roots, or be made to look as if they have.
I was reminded of the remark of another argumentative Bengali, the historian Romesh
Chandra Majumdar: "In a democratic age, everyone seems to assume that a knowledge of
Indian history is a birthright of every Indian, and requires no patient study or research" (in
Historians of India, Pakistan and Ceylon, ed. C. H. Philips, p. 426).

Dermot Killingley