[INDOLOGY] Developing story on alleged plagiarism by Rajiv Malhotra

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Sat Jul 11 12:49:43 UTC 2015

I've added my name to that petition, with the comment: "For years Mr
Malhotra has made himself known internationally as a viciously
aggressive ethnocentric pamphleteer without the slightest scholarly
substance or merit of note, attacking persons intercontinentally who
have committed their professional lives to the study of aspects of the
culture of India and to a deepening of academic knowledge about Indian
culture. These indications of blatant plagiary demonstrate Mr Malhotra's
profound lack of scholarly as well as, especially, moral substance and
deserve to be widely publicized."

This petition deserves the support of all of us. The examples given
there are crass. Given that I was uncomfortably confronted by Malhotra
fans in the Indian academic community during my last trip to India (in
other words: there are colleagues who take his stuff seriously, even if
they are not exactly top-rank colleagues), I believe it is not
unimportant to expose the fellow in such a simple and clear way when in
his noisy hybris he has thus overreached himself.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institute of Indology and Tibetology