[INDOLOGY] Importance of avritti

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 18:29:24 UTC 2015

I couldn’t locate/download the 'H.P.Sastri’s English translation of Anandabhatta’s Vallalacarita' from the given link.

However, here are my thoughts which may or may not fit here.

1. I find a distant parallel in the Tamil Tolkappiyam to the nine distinguishing criteria of kula of the Kulinas enumerated in the “Vallalacarita." The Tolkappiyam enumerates 9 qualities/characteristics to be compatible in people who choose their life partners: piṟappu, kuṭimai, āṇmai, āṇṭu, … kāma vāyil, niṟai, aruḷ, uṇarvu, thiru

2. One of the eight types of marriages referred in the Tamil text iṟaiyaṉār kaḷaviyal is piracāpattiyam (== prajapatya). I find a similarity here between the concept of avritti and the concept of piracāpattiyam. The code of piracāpattiyam is that if/when a brother-in-law of the same ‘gotra’ requests for a girl/bride, the girl’s relatives should give away that girl in acceptance of the marriage. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the purpose of this type of marriage (prajapatya) was to procreate.

I’d like to learn more from members on this list.

Regards,
Rajam