[INDOLOGY] Metrically restored Rgveda and traditional recitation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Jan 13 01:11:42 UTC 2015

Hello Tim,

     I myself was surprised by the statement from the Aitareya Brāhmaṇa
that I have cited.  How to bridge that statement and the treatment in the
Prātiśākhyas that you refer to is an important question.  One possibility
is that the analytical tradition of the Prātiśākhyas became consciously
aware of the metrical deviations and tried to account for them, while the
tradition represented by the AB did not much care for this issue.  This is
perhaps analogous to the earliest oral traditions of the Veda did produce
variant branch Samhitās with different readings, but with the later
development of the rigorous methods of recitation like the various
permutational Vikṛtipāṭhas, further splitting of the Saṃhitās was
arrested.  With metrical deviations, there is a similar possibility.  That
is just my guess.  Best,

Madhav