[INDOLOGY] Satirical criticism in Sanskrit literature and philosophy? - Irreverent History reference

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Fri Jan 9 09:22:49 UTC 2015

I forgot to mention in my last post the date of the M.G.S. Felicitation volume, which was issued last year (2014). Here is the  table of contents :

 Irreverent History: Essays for M.G.S. Narayanan, edited by Kesavan Veluthat & Donald R. Davis, Jr., Delhi: Primus Books, 2014, ISBN: 978-93-84082-14-7
List of Contributors vii

Preface (Kesavan Veluthat & Donald R. Davis, Jr.) ix

.    1.  M.G.S. Narayanan: The Irreverent Historian        Kesavan Veluthat 1

Part I: Kerala History and Culture

.    2.  How did Paraśurāma Come to Raise Kerala?
          Christophe Vielle 15

.    3.  From Nadu to Swarupam: Political Authority in Southern Kerala from the tenth to the thirteenth Centuries         K.K. Ganesh 33

.    4.  Changes in Land Relations during the Decline of the Cēra State
           Manu V. Devadevan 53

.    5.  Jaṭāyuvadham in Kerala’s Sanskrit Theatre Kūṭiyāṭṭam  Heike Moser 81

.    6.  Satire as Apology: The Puruṣārtthakkūttŭ of Kerala
        Donald R. Davis, Jr. 93

.    7.  Implications of the Ritual Programme and Context of Āṟāṭṭupuḻa Pūram        Rich Freeman 111

Part II: Epigraphy, Connected History, and Conceptual Frameworks

.    8.  Social Structure and Commercial Pursuits in Early India: Reflections on Some Conceptual Issues  Krishna Mohan Shrimali 147

.    9. The Image of the Scribe in Early Medieval Sources        Daud Ali 167

.    10. Community, Caste and Region in Odisha: The Formative Period
Bhairabi Prasad Sahu 189

.    11. Varṇa and Jāti in Ancient India: Some Questions
Upinder Singh 205

.    12. Borrowed Words in an Ocean of Objects: Geniza Sources and new Cultural Histories of the Indian ocean       Elizabeth Lambourn 215

.    13. Political Compacts Made by Local Chiefs during the Later Chola Period      Noboru Karashima 243

.    14. A Copperplate Inscription of Krishnadevaraya’s Time: Its Historical Implication     Y. Subbarayalu 251

.    15. Historical Memory and statecraft in late Medieval south India: a study of Krishnadeva raya’s Campaign of ad 1517   Venkata Raghotham 261

.    16. Delhi’s Capital Century (1911–2011): Understanding the transformation of the City         Nayanjot Lahiri 277

Research Publications of M.G.S. Narayanan 297

Index 303

Le 9 janv. 2015 à 09:39, Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> a écrit :

> I would add on the topic:
>
> Donald R. Davis, 'Satire as Apology: The Puruṣārtthakkūttŭ of Kerala', In: Kesavan Veluthat & Id. eds, Irreverent History: Essays for M.G.S. Narayanan, Delhi: Primus Books, pp. 93-109.
> Two satirical theatre-genres (rūpaka) :
>
> • the prahasana, of which the Bhagavadajjuka (which brings into ridicule the doctrines of Buddhism) is (like the Mattavilāsa) another good example:
> cf. - K.K. Malathi Devi, Prahasanas in Sanskrit Literature and Kerala Stage, Delhi: Nag Publishers, 1995.
>
> - Paulose, K.G., Bhagavadajjukam in Kūṭiyāṭṭam: The Hermit and the Harlot - the Sanskrit farce in Performance, Delhi: New Bharatiya Book Corp. 2000.
>
> Note the transl. of the farce by J.A.B. Van Buitenen in Mahfil (1971): jstor.org/stable/40874441
>  • the bhāṇa (satirical monologue)
>
> cf.  for example The Quartet of Causeries, by Śyāmilaka, Vararuci, Śūdraka & Īśvaradatta, translated by Csaba Dezső & Somadeva Vasudeva, Clays Sanskrit Library 2009.
>
> In the philosophical debate, there are a few satirical expressions to find in :
>
> J.-M. Verpoorten, 'Quelques tournures péjoratives dans le débat philosophique en sanskrit', IT 28, 2002, pp. 267-79. http://www.indologica.com/volumes/vol28/vol28_art13_VERPOORTEN.pdf
>
> About the jaina parodical Dhuttakkhāṇa of Haribhadra referred to by A. Ollett, see Haribhadra, Ballade des coquins, présentation et traduction du prakrit par Jean-Pierre Osier et Nalini Balbir, Paris: GF Flammarion, 2004).
>
> Le 9 janv. 2015 à 01:23, Jan E.M. Houben <jemhouben at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Dear List Members,
>> In order to pay a tribute to freedom of critical expression my Master course "Sanskrit, scientific and philosophical lingua franca" will in the following weeks, as it did yesterday, focus on
>>
>> Satirical criticism in Sanskrit literature and philosophy
>>
>> Without trying to be in any way complete I propose that the work of the following authors can be regarded as, to some extent at least, belonging in this category:
>> Bhartrhari the poet/subhasita collector, Jayarasi, Ksemendra.
>> Part of Bhavabhuuti's Maalatiimaadhava reads as satirical criticism on Kapaalikas.
>>
>> Now my question: ARE THERE ANY OTHER STRONG (extensive) EXAMPLES?
>>
>> Satire in Indian literature? WHAT is usually criticized?
>>
>> Satire in Indian philosophy? Criticism of WHAT? (Tattvopaplavasimha: of all philosophical-religious "truths" without trying to establish one's own).
>>
>> Writing satirical criticism in Sanskrit in a manuscript is not the same as expressing such criticism in the most accessible "language" thinkable: comics published in a weekly.
>> HOW was satirical criticism in ancient, classical India RECEIVED?
>> Did anyone suffer on account of critical views expressed in Sanskrit? Or only when it was
>> expressed in a more popular language like Hindi (Kabir)?
>> Best,
>> jan houben
>>

>> Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
> [...]

Christophe Vielle