[INDOLOGY] Manuscripts in India

Charles Li cchl2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 03:07:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

I was actually just at the Asiatic Society in Mumbai a few weeks ago.
They have a schedule of charges -- for foreigners, it should cost 30
rupees per folio (which mysteriously doubled to 60 when I got my
images) plus a handling charge (I think this was around 200 ruppes) and
they won't give you the entire manuscript, but you can negotiate to get
a fairly large chunk of it. You have to be careful when ordering; the
librarians aren't too familiar with manuscripts, and if the foliation
is on the verso side, then you have to make sure that you also ask for
the image of the recto side (this should be one slide prior).

If in doubt, ask to see the schedule of charges.

- Charles