[INDOLOGY] Request: Tamil-Portuguese Dictionary

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Tue Jan 6 14:42:45 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I was wondering if any one of you would be able to share with me a PDF
of Antão de Proença's Tamil-Portuguese Dictionary, compiled in 1679.
It was reprinted in Kuala Lumpur in 1966 (record here:
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001006575).

Perhaps you could also tell me if there are any more recent
Tamil-Portuguese dictionaries available. I know of one, for instance,
compiled in 1735 by Jacome Gonçalves, but it appears that only a few
manuscripts survive. I am asking on behalf on one of my former
students who is now working in Brazil resettling Sri Lankan Tamil
refugees. She would like a dictionary to help these modern Tamil
speakers learn Portuguese (though I explained to her that these very
old dictionaries are likely of more use today to historians than to
language learners). Something from the 19th or 20th century would be
best, but perhaps no such dictionary exists.

Warmest wishes and Feliz Ano Novo,
Andrew
Andrew J. Nicholson
Associate Professor