Re: [INDOLOGY] The definition of vārttika as a type of commentary

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:11:15 UTC 2015

Birgit,

Your emendation of yatra to atra ('tra) is fine (so also of anupapatticodanā to anupapatticodanāt). But dyotyate will not work. Its initial, being a conjunct consonant, will make the preceding short vowel (a fifth syllable in the verse quarter) guru or heavy and disturb the metre. The meaning 'indicates, suggests' will also not fit, because the removal of the objection is explicitly done, not suggested. Most importantly, there is no need to change diiyate to dyotyate. Constructions such as mama do.so na diiyate are found (usually in the copyist's apology at the end of a manuscript). Therefore, parihaaro 'tra diiyate in the sense of parihaaro 'tra ucyate/kriyate/upanyasyate is quite in keeping with the idiom of classical Sanskrit.

a.a.