Re: [INDOLOGY] The definition of vārttika as a type of commentary

Jonathan Edelmann jonathan.edelmann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:42:59 UTC 2015

Dear Prof Kellner,

There is a good discussion of vārttika (along with other terms like bhāṣya,
nibandha, ṭīkā, ṭippaṇa, etc.) in Ch 8 ("Commentary and Creativity")
ofJonardon Ganeri's _The Lost Age of Reason: Philosophy in Early Modern
India 1450-1700_. A number of Buddhist, Nyāya, etc. authors and texts are
discussed on the very topic in question.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Edelmann

Jonathan Edelmann, Ph.D.
Shackouls Honors College Faculty Fellow
Assistant Professor of Religion
Mississippi State University
Website:
https://msstate.academia.edu/JonathanEdelmann?notification_code=jTT3IbH1
Section Editor, International Journal of Hindu Studies:
http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/religious+studies/journal/11407